I’m not usually a big fan of lemon loaf, but I do love lemon bars. I always did enjoy the lemon loaf at times when I used to work for Starbucks eons ago, but it’s not something I get, especially since I know it’s full of refined sugars and other junk! Fortunately, this recipe is healthier.I had a lot of Meyer lemons to use up, and I didn’t know what to do with them. I wasn’t really feeling like making a new batch of lemon bars, and it had been a while since I made a loaf of anything so I decided I would do just that.
This loaf is vegan and lightly sweet, free of refined-sugars. The lemon-y taste is perfect in this recipe, and I definitely devoured a slice or two… You can accompany it with a glaze if you’d like too!
Makes 9″ loaf
- 2 flax eggs (1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp hot water set aside for 5 min)
- 1/2 cup oil (I used virgin coconut and grapeseed)
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk (can also use yogurt)
- 2 tbsp Meyer lemon zest (~7 lemons)
- 2 tbsp Meyer lemon juice (~1.5 lemons)
- 2 tsp lemon extract (or add extra half lemon)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 1 tbsp ground flax (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
Optional lemon glaze:
- 1-2 tbsp Meyer lemon juice
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch loaf pan or line with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, whisk chickpea flour and water until dissolved. Add oil, milk, zest, juice, and extract and whisk well.
In a small bowl, combine sugar, flours, flax, salt, baking powder and soda, and mix together. Add half of the dry to the wet, and stir to combine. Add the rest of the dry and stir everything until combined.
Pour mixture into the loaf pan and bake for 40-45 minutes. Use a toothpick to test! Let cool for five minutes, and take out to cool more.
For the glaze:
Whisk the lemon juice and icing sugar to desired consistency. Drizzle or brush over top once loaf has cooled.
- If non-vegan, you can use regular eggs
- Feel free to use all-purpose flour
- You can use regular lemons, but you may need to increase the sweetener!
- Nutrition info below (approximate — per slice, ~12 slices)