I do love carrot cake. As I already mentioned in my carrot cake smoothie recipe, it reminds me of my childhood. I’ve been trying to come up with different recipes for my overnight crock pot oats so that I change it up each week for my breakfasts.
This carrot cake version of the oats tasted just like it! It was perfect with all those spices added, using the natural sweetness of bananas, applesauce, and dates.
Remember, these are good for on the go, when you don’t have time to cook or eat breakfast (it’s an important meal!!). The crock pot is so useful, people should use it more often!
Makes 6-7 servings
- 1 and 1/2 cup steel-cut oats
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 + 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 banana, mashed
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 10 dates, roughly chopped
- 4 and 1/2 cups non-dairy milk or water or combination
- 1-2 tbsp chia seeds or ground flax (optional)
Grease the crock pot with a little bit of coconut oil or butter.
In a small bowl, mash the banana and mix in the applesauce. Add the spices and vanilla and give a quick stir.
Add the oats to the crock pot, followed by the dates, banana mixture, and carrots (as well as chia or flax, if using). Top with the milk/water and set crock pot on low for 3-4 hours, switching to the warm setting just before sleeping. Wake up to a kitchen smelling of carrot cake!
- Add extra sweetener if it isn’t sweet enough for you. This recipe is only lightly sweet from the fruits.
- Add walnuts, coconut butter, or apple butter as a topping!